Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Castelo dos Mouros



Though we love Lisboa, we learned this trip that it is as densely packed as Singapore so I'm sure it will come as no surprise when I say that we were relieved to be out of the city and in quieter Sintra. I can't tell you how much I love seeing my kids in so many different landscapes. It's amazing for me to see them at home on busy city streets or in quiet forests, on craggy beaches or tops of mountains, on a sailboat or in a camper van, navigating airports and train stations or running around ancient castles. We were particularly lucky to visit 9th century Castelo dos Mouros in the fog which accentuated its mysteriousnes as we climbed up and down the steps along the castle wall catching glimpses of Sintra below and Palacio Pena above. As we look down the steep, rocky slopes below, it always begs the question, how in God's green earth did King Alfonso take this castle from the Moors in 1147?

Click here for photos.




1 comment:

  1. Very cool pictures. What a magical scene with all the fog. Great pictures.
    Not just one lock but ... TWO.

    ReplyDelete